Gimme Sugar & Carbs!

Every once in awhile, I have a day that all I crave are sugar and carbs. Well, yesterday was one of those days. I notice that these days mostly come on when I’m: A) tired; B) stressed; or C) all of the above. Yesterday was C) all of the above – tired and stressed.

I just could not for the life of me “wake up” yesterday and felt kind of blah and lazy all day. If I could’ve, I probably would’ve napped and camped out on the couch all day. That’s totally not my style, but I think the constant go-go-go lately is finally catching up to me. It’s not ending any time soon either, so I better get used to it.

And then there was the stress part. I guess I need to remind myself of my challenge, eh? My brain has been in a whirlwind thinking about getting ready for Mother’s Day (4 moms to think about is no easy feat), sorting out the details of Blend Retreat with Fabletics (they have some pretty awesome stuff in store for all of you Blend attendees – just sayin’), continuing to work on moving stuff (hoping to move next week!), and then there’s that interview I have today (more on that soon!).

Yiiiikes. I am feeling just a tad overwhelmed.

I know it’ll all settle down in due time though. I just need to chill the heck out and not think about it so much. Ha! Easier said than done, but we’re just going with it.

In honor of What I Ate Wednesday (thanks for the link-up, Jenn!), I’ll be sharing my sugar and carb filled day. I didn’t go too crazy or anything, but most of my snacks and meals were definitely more on the sweeter side.

Peas and Crayons

breakfast

Yup, still on the English muffin kick! I topped mine with Peanut Butter & Co. The Bee’s Knees peanut butter and Mamma Chia chia seeds. A side of strawberries were also consumed because strawberries are da bomb lately.

wiaw

AM snack

Two of these little balls. I’m not sure what I’m going to call them yet. I made them for a recipe I’ll be sharing with you in the next couple weeks. Let’s just say they’re pretty darn good. Winking smile

lunch

Lunch was basically breakfast. I didn’t mind one bit since breakfast is my favorite meal. I had a green smoothie made with banana, spinach, JAVAPRO protein powder (I neeeeded the caffeine in a bad way), spinach, and almond milk. Simple and yummy!

And then there was a small bowl of Frosted Mini Wheats, just because I wanted them.

PM snack

I got a couple tea cookies in my Merco Box awhile back that I totally forgot about until yesterday when I spotted them in the pantry. They were pretty amazing and totally hit the sugar and carb spot. They tasted like a light lemon muffin morphed into a cookie. Yum.

Somewhere in there I also ate some cheese and crackers. No, I didn’t eat that whole block of cheese. It was tempting though. I Red heart cheese.

wiaw1

dinner

Leftovers! Dinner was leftover pot roast with a side salad. Nothing too special, but it did the job!

wiaw2

dessert

These lemon bars from Trader Joe’s are amaaaazing. Two of ‘em went in my belly.

So yeah, carb and sugar mania here. But whatever, it happens from time to time, right? And at least I got a few fruits and veggies in there to balance it all out. Winking smile

Do you notice a difference in your cravings when you’re tired and/or stressed?

What’s your favorite meal of the day?

How often do you eat leftovers?

Do you like lemon flavored baked goods/desserts?

Comments

I totally can tell a difference in what I want to eat when tired, stressed, or just overwhelmed! But I like you try to remind myself it will pass and just to listen to what I need/want while I’m worn down!

I love lemon flavored stuff – esp in the spring and summer – so refreshing!

I definitely start craving more sugary foods when I’m tired or stressed out. And if I’m studying or writing something, then I NEED to have something around to munch on otherwise I can’t focus :lol: But at least having lots on your plate means exciting things are happening, right? :) And there’s lots to look forward to once things settle down!

Oh girl, that was me yesterday! I wasn’t feeling so great after work and all I wanted was waffles topped with tons of sun flower seed butter for dinner. One guess what I had. :)

Whoa girl, you definitely could use a day of the couch! You are amazing going through all of this. I can’t imagine not being stressed out, but the end result of having a house near family will be worth it :) I am jealous of everyone going to Blend! Wish I could attend. Some days are candy and carbs for me, too. The other day I had so many carbs, and while I loved it at the time, I definitely felt a bit heavy all day, haha. Good luck on your interview today!

I’m definitely the same way – when I get tired or stressed out I basically dive headfirst into my chocolate stash. You have so many exciting things going on right now, but I imagine it’ll nice for you once things calm down a little bit!
    I didn’t think I liked lemon desserts (besides lemon meringue pie) but then I had lemon pound cake a while back and it was kind of amazing. So maybe I’m changing my mind.

I love leftovers! One of my students brought me a huge bag of candy yesterday and I’ve been in it nonstop! Reasons why I try not to keep stuff like that in the house!

Breakfast is always my favourite! I crave chocolate…namely nut butter cups when I’m tired or stressed. I always opt for leftovers if there are any lingering to avoid any potential stress of cooking! :) More sleeps and long hot baths…hope the next few days are a little less stressful for you!

Breakfast is no doubt my fav! Sometimes when I’ve got overnight oats it’s difficult to sleep, knowing that they’re there waiting for me in the morning…haha!

I love that you are so honest in this post because we all have those days where we are craving all the carbs/sugar we can get our hands on. It happens to me about once a month (if you catch my drift, haha) and sometimes I just have to go with it!

Also, WHAT kind of cheese is that? It looks amazing!

Jaclyn, hey girl. I’ve been seeing some comments pop up with questions on your guest post from the other day. If you get a chance, would you mind responding to them? Thanks! :) Have a great day!

You really are one busy lady, but such a trooper! Trust me, I’ve had my fair share of days where I just can’t get going. I swear it was the weather, but I kind of wish I had more to do! I think things for us should get pretty interesting around here soon though!! Can’t wait to hear more about this interview too!

Stress and lack of sleep equal chocolate and attacking my roommate’s granola stash [read: story of my life at the moment]. Given your packed to-do list – four Mother’s Day gift to take care of in addition to work??! – I’d say you’re still doing well. Fingers crossed stress will be over for you soon, though.
    And that interview?? I hope you’ll share more soon because I’m not dealing well with suspense ;).

Haha yessss. Thank goodness for chocolate and granola stashes. I’ll be sharing more as soon as I know more! ;)

I definitely do notice a difference, though those are probably the days I should eat better! Lol
    Breakfast – hands down!
    I rarely eat leftovers, only cause there is usually only one serving left and that goes in my husband’s lunch.
    I love the lemon raspberry loaf from Starbucks!

It sounds like you have a lot going on! I know that I’m horrible with stress eating. I always snack my way through study sessions when I’m worrying about an exam. Good luck with the interview!

14. Katie says

I love the title of this post haha.. my kinda food ;) Carbs all the way when I’m sleepy which makes me even more sleepy! Favorite meal of the day.. Breakfast! I even eat breakfast for lunch & dinner sometimes haha I actually love leftovers too.. very often I eat them!

I always crave a little more sugar after a bad night’s sleep! We don’t have a Trader Joe’s in Canada and it makes me so sad because those lemon treats look incredible! I love a nice lemony sweet.

Ugh I hate those sugar/carb days–but at least they’re better than sugar/carb weeks/months…. :) You have a lot on your plate right now! Good luck with your interview–excited to hear what you’re going after! :)

17. Mia says

Cravings when you have all of that going on? Um yeah, totally normal. You are quite ‘tame’ though with your cravings than I am. You don’t even want to know how much sugar I’ve consumed this week. It’s embarrassing!!! At least it all ebbs and flows. I’m not concerned! :)

18. Amanda N says

I definitely go for sugar/carbs when I’m stressed or when feeling lazy. I think its not a certain time of day meal that is my favorite but certain meals themselves….omelets with home fries, amazing topping filled salads, and delicious soups will hit the spot and make me happy every single time.