My New Adventure

I’m glad so many of you could relate to some of my confessions yesterday! It was a fun little spin off of my usual Thursday Thoughts post.

I want to address something regarding the sponsored post confession real quick. Like I said in my post yesterday, I do get a little fed up with too many sponsored posts. However, I also recognize that they are sometimes necessary and can be helpful for readers. I want this little blog to be a place that you want to come and read. I don’t want it to be filled with sponsored posts, which is why I try my best not to do more than one per week (which may be too much for some of you, but I personally think it’s a reasonable amount). Also understand I only accept sponsored posts that go along with what I stand for and represent. I try my best to make them interesting and enjoyable to read. So, I’d encourage you to take a look at some sponsored posts (I’m talking all blogs here, not just mine) if you normally don’t – you may surprise yourself and enjoy the post or you may discover a new product that you love. I just wanted to clarify that I don’t think ALL sponsored posts are a bad thing. They can actually be an awesome thing if done in moderation. OK, I’m done now! Winking smile

Let’s get to what I really wanted to talk about today…

I mentioned having an interview this week, and I’m finally ready to share some of the details!

A little introduction for you first: I’ve written a few posts regarding my desire to someday become a group fitness instructor. When I worked as a personal trainer at the gym a few years back, I also taught a bootcamp class once a week. From there, I developed a love for group fitness and continued to attend classes off and on throughout the course of the last couple years. One of those classes was Les Mills Body Pump. It’s always been one of my all-time favorite classes, and I was SO bummed when I discovered that my most recent gym (in Utah) didn’t have Les Mills classes. I still attended a regular Power Pump Class (similar to Body Pump), but it wasn’t quite the same.

IMG_20131019_084941_548

Fast forward to moving here to Arizona…

When I was initially looking into getting group instructor certified several months ago, I was planning to get the AFAA group fitness certification. But since the gym industry is so huge in Phoenix and there’s plenty of gyms with Les Mills classes, I figured it made more sense to do something I really loved AKA Les Mills Body Pump. I looked up the next Les Mills Body Pump instructor training in our area, and it just happened to be over the weekend of June 14-15. Perfect! Before I decided to do the training for sure, I wanted to get an idea if any gyms nearby were hiring instructors because I didn’t want a $300 certification without a job.

I called around to a few places and finally heard back from a local gym a mile down the street from our new house. The group fitness coordinator has been helpful and encouraging since my first conversation with her. She wanted to do an audition/interview with me right away (which is what I did on Wednesday), and I passed with flying colors. We did an audition for bootcamp for now since I’ll occasionally sub bootcamp until I get my Les Mills Body Pump certification. She’s reeling me into teaching a spin class too, which I plan to start doing in the near future after I shadow a few more classes.

Capture

I’ll admit, the whole thing has totally been outside of my comfort zone. I get butterflies in my stomach every time I think about the whole thing. But, I’m also incredibly excited and so proud of myself for taking the plunge. I really just needed to throw away the excuses and jump in! That’s exactly what I did, and what do you know – a door opened!

I went to a Body Pump class yesterday for the first time in months and it kicked my BOOT-AY! Whew! Talk about some major DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) going on today. Needless to say, I think it’ll be good to have a month to get back into regular classes to be ready for my certification in mid-June.

So there ya have it – my new adventure in group fitness! I’ll be sure to share the details along the way. Thanks for your support and encouragement!

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend! Red heart

What have YOU done to get out of your comfort zone lately?

Have you ever been to a Body Pump class?

If you teach Body Pump, any advice or tips?

Comments

I’m obsessed with Body Pump..I usually go 2-3x per week, and it’s amazing! I’m so, so excited for you :)

I’ve recently been toying around the idea of getting certified in CXWORX (another les mills class which I’m also absolutely in love with) so I completely understand the nerves/butterflies.

How did you look up upcoming trainings near you?

That’d be awesome – you should totally go for it! If you go on the Les Mills website, go to the Instructor tab. There should be a little sidebar off to the right to fill in your info to have someone email you re: how to get certified. Let me know if you have more questions. :)

Congratulations, that’s amazing!! I’ve been pushing myself to step outside my comfort zone by starting my own Health Coaching business. It is intimidating but exciting at the same time!

Girl, that is AWESOME! You will LOVE being a Les Mills instructor and BP is one of the best. I’d love to get my BP certification. You are going to rock it!

Thanks Girl! I may be emailing you… Don’t you have your RPM cert? That’s the one they’re also encouraging me to get.

• says

I do! I haven’t taught in awhile because unfortunately, there are no Les Mills locations around me right now, but I absolutely, positively, ADORE Rpm and teaching it. I can’t wait to get back into teaching after my little guy arrives. :) Yes, let me know if you have any questions at all. I love talking RPM!

4. Katie says

SO DANG HAPPY FOR YOU!!! :) This post gave me butterflies ;) I’ve been outside my comfort zone for the past week now! I recently started my new job at an elementary school & at first I was unsure how things would go since I’ve been with Drake since day 1 but I LOVE it. Its a great change & getting out of the house interacting with adults helps too ;) I actually get excited to go to work! I have been to a number of body pump classes.. I really enjoy them & always give me DOMS :) I actually took that every other morning when I was in my first trimester because it helped my morning sickness (exercise) however getting there was the hard part haha I’m trying so hard to get my current gym to get bodypump but apparently it’s really expensive to have at gyms? Which surprises me because the town I live in now is much “wealthier” than the college down I used to live in!

Awww thanks Girl! Your excitement for me means a lot. :) And wow, congrats to YOU! I had no idea you started working, but that’s so great! I’m excited for you! I do know that Les Mills classes are more expensive to have at gyms, so I think it just depends on the gym owner. Happy Friday girl! P.S. Any luck getting airfare to Blend?! I would loooove if you came!

• Katie says

Crossing my fingers eventually my gym will be able to get it ;) & No luck with the airfare :( I’ve been checking everyday & they’re still around 515.00!!!! I wish so badly something would change or I get a free ticket haha

5. amelia says

Yay! So excited for you, I have butterflies!!! If you haven’t seen it, Gina at fitnessista did a revi on BP training this past week. It was so informative. Makes me want to get certified one day, possibly next year though.

Congrats – you’re going to be such a fabulous instructor! I’ve actually never taken a BodyPump class – my current gym doesn’t do Les Mills, but maybe I’ll get the chance to try one out in the future!

7. Fiona says

Oh my gosh I am so jealous! Here in Canada you have to be either recruited or try out in a huge group (when they need instructors) to become an Les Mills instructor! I would love to be a pump instructor or BodyCombat OR spin but alas the opportunity doesn’t come up often! WAY TO GO!!! You’ll be awesome!

8. Kate says

I agree with you on the sponsored posts in regards to moderation. However, I do find it funny that bloggers such as yourself gain such awesome benefits from these sponsors posts in free products, clothes, shoes, I was a little surprised to see you dissing them yesterday. The companies might not be as interested in you when they go to do their marketing as a result. I think it is clear the blogs that truly have a concern for the products they are marketing and the ones that clearly enjoy the free stuff :)

Hi Kate, I don’t feel like I was dissing all sponsored posts, which is why I said, “I get sponsored posts. You see them around here sometimes…” I just get annoyed when I see them day in and day out on some blogs. If I were dissing them, I would have nothing to do with them. I think they do have some awesome perks!

• Kate says

Yes, and as I said in my comment, I agree with your moderation statement :) :) They do have great perks, especially for the bloggers that write about the products!!

Congrats – this is such amazing news!! Honestly, I haven’t done much to get out of my comfort zone lately, but I’m ready. I think it’s a confidence issue though. Since I did graduate with a degree in nutrition, and am technically a nutritionist now, I need to be more confident in my ability to talk to others about food! Actually, I did counsel someone recently, but I was nervous the whole time that I would mess up or give her the wrong advice. But, that’s what it’s all about right? Trial and error!

Can’t wait to hear more as you go along and receive training in June!!

It’s definitely a confidence thing for me too. Girl, you totally got it! I bet you know more than you realize. And yes, that’s how you learn – trial & error. ;) Hugs!

That’s so great you’ll be joining the Les Mills tribe as an instructor. BODYPUMP was also my first program, which I trained on almost four years ago, now I also teach BODYATTACK and CXWORX. You should attend class as much as you can until your training. It’s an awesome experience, although challenging, and you’ll never look at a group fitness class the same again. Let me know if you have any questions before training or when shooting your assessment video. Congrats on getting a job at a gym!

Congrats on taking the plunge. I teach group fitness full time and LOVE it! It is a very fulfilling and fun job. It gets easier as the years/months pass. My advice…fake it til you make it, share your life with the participants, and push people out of their comfort zone. You cannot be shy when you have a mic strapped to your head and you are coaching 40+ people. Just fake it…..yell/encourage, jump around the room, praise people by name, and tell funny, short stories. Make your class fun and personable and you will gain member retention.

12. Becky says

Just gotta say I think we’d be friends in real life…..so much in common (our faith, fitness, opinions and even our boys seem to be a lot alike LOL).

I’ve been thinking about getting certified for a couple years and like you took a little break when I had Landon. I’ll be so interested to see how it all goes for you. I need to go check out the info on their site.

Thanks for the info!
    -Becky

13. Amanda says

Very exciting!! I went through yoga teacher training about a year ago and I loved the experience! I still get nervous every time I teach, but I leave with the best feeling once class is over!

14. Nicole says

HOW COOL IS THAT?!?!!?! So awesome Ashley!! Congratulations!! :)

I teach BodyPump three times a week. It definitely took me some time to find my own “voice” as an instructor. Everyone has their own journey as an instructor – for some, it just CLICKS within the first few weeks – for others, it takes months. I would not get discouraged if you don’t feel 100% awesome in your first few weeks (not that I’m doubting you at ALL!), but go easy on yourself. Be confident, but forgiving! I’d rather have an instructor who was human and made mistakes and showed personality, than some perfect robot!! :)

Also, continue to take other instructors classes. You can learn a lot from different styles of teaching. :)

You will be awesome!

15. Ashley M says

Eeeeeeek! This is so exciting! Being a group fitness instructor is such an amazing job and I KNOW everyone is going to love you! What a fun way to combine passion and work! Congratulations girl, can’t wait to watch your journey!

I think about getting my group certification a lot. So happy that you’re going with something you love! Honestly, registering for Blend as been way out of my comfort zone. I’m a little bit of an introvert and not great in social situations, but I’m so looking forward to it!

How exciting! I really commend you for jumping in and throwing out all excuses. It can be so intimidating to start something new or take a jump into the “unknown” and get outside our comfort zones. BUT, I always find that those are the times when I learn the most or the things I enjoy doing the most!

It sounds like a great atmosphere and it also seems like the group fitness coordinator will be someone great to work for. So happy for you!

That’s so awesome that you’re getting Body Pump certified!! I haven’t taken that particular class but I’ve taken Group Power, which is Mossa (formerly Body Training Systems) version. It’s a great workout! You’ll have lots of fun teaching it!
    I teach Group Centergy and Cardio30 (a 30 min. spin class) and I love both! You should definitely get spin certified too. ;) Good luck with your training!

Awesome and congrats!!

I would love to teach Spin some day — or possibly a bootcamp class. I love the idea of making people SWEAT!

My gym doesn’t offer Les Mils. I feel like we are the only Y in the nation that doesn’t so BOOOO. Maybe someday!

I’ve never taken a body pump class but always wanted to. My gym doesn’t offer them. They are trying to get me to teach spin class. It’s been yrs since I taught and the thought scares me. Congrats to you!

Your body pump training is going to be ridiculously awesome! Prepare for even more DOMS :) I’m so excited for your teaching career. And it’s so great to have someone on your side like it sounds like you have with your new boss. Makes such a difference!