Embracing When Life Knocks You Down

Yesterday I called in “sick”. Except, crap, as a mom, I guess I can’t really call in sick, can I? So, it was a sick day, but with a clingy, fussy little toddler attached to me all day. The day was off to a rough start, but with a simple shift in my attitude, what could’ve been a miserable day didn’t turn out so bad. (Trust me, still not a great day, but not as bad as it could be Winking smile)

Hunter came down with a sudden fever late in the afternoon on Wednesday and was not himself at ALL going into Wednesday evening. He planted himself on Cody’s or my chest the entire evening until it was time for bed. He slept through the night, but of course I was up off and on throughout the night worried about him. I felt so bad for the little guy.

Capture

He continued to not act himself into yesterday. He didn’t eat very well, he was super cuddly and mellow, and if I wasn’t holding him, he was fussing at me. I loved all the cuddles at first, but I’ll admit, the clingy-ness got to be tiring after awhile.

Oh, and to top it off, I woke up not feeling great myself. I’m going to chalk it up to several nights of restless sleep this week. Obviously nothing major, but also not very fun when you need your energy to attend to your sick little guy.

To be honest, I was initially annoyed at it all – you know, him being sick and me being exhausted. I had errands I wanted to do, I wanted to take Hunter to story time, we had stuff to do!

But I quickly laid all of that to rest. I declared it a lazy day, enjoyed the snuggles, we stayed in our PJ’s until almost noon, read books on the floor together, watched cartoons, both of us took naps, and I embraced the sweet time with my little boy.

We needed yesterday. I like to be busy, on-the-go, and always doing stuff. It’s fun and all, but sometimes I don’t know when to slow down. Life knocked me down as a little reminder yesterday. It was a little nudge to chill out, relax, and embrace the quiet and simple moments. So that’s exactly what I did.

Capture

Do you have a difficult time knowing when to slow down?

When was the last time you just took a “chill day”?

What are your plans for the upcoming weekend?

Comments

i think with babies, itz hard to know when to stop and chill and relax because there’s ALWAYS something to be doing. hope you and the little man are feeling better!

It is so difficult to slow down and allow our bodies to rest when we are used to going at full speed. But doing so is so important and beneficial. Hope you’re all feeling better!

Oh you poor mama! I can’t imagine having to take care of a sick babe when you’re not feeling 100% yourself. I love your positive attitude and reminder to slowwww downnnn. My weekend is jam packed but I may have to turn down a dinner invite on Sunday to just rest and recharge :) I hope you can relax a little this weekend!

4. Katie says

I hope You & Hunter feel better really soon! We’ve had a rough week over here too, it reminded me of the newborn days! Teething+Cold= no fun! I only have a difficult time slowing time when I’m stressed/anxious…typically when Friday morning rolls around I feel some relaxing starting to happen! We had a pretty chill day on Weds, we even watched Nemo & had ice cream after lunch ;) Plans for the weekend…Church, engagement pictures & relaxing the warm weather!

I hope you are both feeling better soon! I definitely have a hard time slowing down. I find myself getting super excited for a weekend of “no plans” but they end up being the busiest weekends of them all because I just can’t sit still or relax!

I definitely need to learn to slow down. One of my biggest struggles is to live in the moment. I’m always planning the next thing, the next meal, the next workout, the next blog post. It’s unfortunate that we have to remind ourselves to live RIGHT NOW, but I think that’s human nature. It’s definitely something I’m working on!

We all need those days of rest sometimes for our physical and mental health and it sounds like you needed yours yesterday! Life is so go-go-go that we hate to relax for fear we will miss out on something, but it really does leave us feeling refreshed and ready to get going again!

I think we could all do this from time to time. It sucks because sometimes the world makes you feel (or you think the world is making you feel) guilty for taking ‘me’ time, but it just has to happen. I’m glad you took a day for you and Hunter and I hope you are both feeling better today!

What a rough day!! I hope you are feeling better today, and that Hunter’s fever has gone away <3 It is hard to take a chill day, as our lives are all go-go-go. I typically realize it when I come down sick, too. it's terrible it comes to that!!

Sometimes we all need a chill day. I’m looking forward to one of those Sunday. I’m practicing for relaunch of BODYATTACK 85 and BODYPUMP 90 today and tomorrow, then I’ll be able to relax for a bit. Hope your little man is better soon!

I definitely struggle with knowing when to slow down and usually don’t realize it until about a day too late :( but I’ve been trying to do a better job at recognizing it when I see it (and counting on my hubby to tell me too!)…hang in there!

I find that the hardest part of being a mom, being forced to slow down and look after the needs of small humans when you feel like you have so much of your own stuff going on to do! Maybe I’m a little selfish that way. But I do know I sure miss those cuddly moments on days I feel like I do need a time-out. Especially since I travel a lot for work and am not always around, so when I can take an opportunity to put off the to-do list and just be present it feels like a gift.

I’m in a season where it’s very difficult for me to slow down, because, in my mind, there’s so much to get done before baby comes. However, third-trimester tiredness reminds and helps me slow down; otherwise, I’d likely never stop. I’m hoping to make this afternoon more of a ‘chill’ one to ease into the weekend. I hope Hunter (and mommy) gets to feeling better!

I definitely have a hard time slowing down. I think part of it has a large part to do with social media and constantly knowing what others are doing, but I feel seriously guilty if I’m not go, go go. I’m one of those people who thrives on being busy and getting things done.

This weekend will be spent packing because we move next week. I’m not really looking forward to it, but I’m bribing myself with some froyo! :)

Oh gosh, I think my last “chill day” was in the hospital with E! haha I don’t want my little guy to get sick, obv, but what I wouldn’t give for a pj day and some laid-back cuddles!! You know how little boys are, always fussing to be held or to be on the move.

Side note though, I’m glad you were able to help pull yourself out of the funk. I hope you both are feeling better today. Taking care of someone is hard when you can’t hardly find time to take care of yourself.

I am always GO-GO-GO! Giving myself permission to SLOW down has always been hard for me and I am a big believer that sometimes my body and my life FORCES that rest, forces that slower period on me when I’m not giving it to myself. It’s never easy, but it’s usually needed. Hope you all start feeling better asap!

I’m so thankful that you shared this, Ashley. So many of us have days like this, and the world tells us that it’s not ok, that we need to be go-go-go, and I usually end up believing the lies. How special that you were able to be home with your baby, take good care of him, and enjoy the sweet, cuddly time with him.
    I read this in my devotional yesterday:
    More = always better is a lie the world tells us. But Christ has called us to Him, and time spent with Him, doing His work, should be our highest priority and deepest joy. It’s a path often unappreciated and despised by the world.

Sounds like you did exactly the work the Lord had for you yesterday!

I hope that you both get feeling better soon! Sick days are no fun, but snuggles are the best :) I try to make a point to slow down and reflect on my life so that I can see where I am spending my time vs. where I need to be spending my time. I don’t do this as often as I should, but I always feel good when I do because I set new goals and try to get back on track.

I used to have a really hard time slowing down and letting myself relax, but it’s slowly gotten easier as I’ve realized how beneficial those days can be to my productivity in the long run. I hope you and your little guy feel better soon! <3

20. Sharon says

I try to meditate and have lots of quiet time – but it doesn’t always work out. Hope you guys are feeling better. :)

Good for you, listening to your body!!! It’s so hard, I know- I’m the same way, I love having THINGS to do!! But sometimes, you just need to take a breather. :) Having Sam has definitely slowed me down, in the best way possible. Cuddles with a little one really are better than anything else we could be doing, after all! ;) Glad you’re feeling better, sweet girl.

xo

Awwww hope he feels better soon!! I’m glad you were able to just embrace the time though, what a great lesson! Thank you for sharing :)

I too have a hard time just chillin…..but sometimes you just gotta! xo

Aww hope you’re both feeling better soon! I actually really appreciate excuses to slow down–I’m secretly a huge slacker hiding in a motivated person’s body. :) As much as I hate seeing my kiddo sick, I agree that those extra cuddles are super nice, and I also love being able to spoil him completely guilt-free!

Rest up this weekend! xoxo

Yep I do and I need one. That time of the month and I’m just plain narky and snappy and feeling a little frustrated with life in general. I think I need a week out to just dream! :)

we all need those days, but i am so sad that is was forced. because i don’t want either of ya’ll sick. sending lots of love and prayers and cuddles

26. Becky says

I make it a point to slow down more. We don’t get these days back so I don’t want them to be so busy that I miss them go by. We take at least a couple days to just chill. Landon and I both crave that.

I love that quote! It’s a great reminder that it’s okay not to be busy all the time – in fact, it’s good for you to take a break and refocus on the things that matter. Thanks for sharing. Hope you both feel better soon!

I for sure have a hard time knowing when to slow down especially when a lot of things are going on at once and my mind just continues to turn and turn and turn with thoughts and questions. Plus, I always have a to-do list made up, so I feel sometimes like I can’t get anything done.
    I don’t know when the last time was that I took a “chill day” with no list made and just relaxed with no other thoughts or plans in mind. Clearly, I need to take one :)

Oh Ash, I know this is late, but sorry you guys had a day like that!! I’ve been low energy a lot lately (I think it might have to do with my iron levels – especially since getting my period back!), so it’s been really hard for me to get motivated. I mean, I push through, but being tired and not 100% just sucks. Glad your perspective is always so awesome!