The Paleo diet: what it is and what it does for you
The Paleo diet (also referenced by various Paleo diet reviews as the Caveman diet, the Hunter-Gatherer diet, or the Stone Age diet) is a type of long-term diet.
The idea is to eat a combination of lean meats, fish, roots, vegetables, nuts, seeds, eggs, and fruits while excluding dairy, grains, salt, potatoes, refined sugar, and oils.
Pros of using the Paleo diet
- You are cutting out refined sugar, which has been proven to cause all kinds of health problems.
- You are eliminating refined grains. Cornstarch and wheat flour are not only GMOs but have various negative effects on the body.
- You cut out high glycemic foods, which is always good.
- You get to eat meat.
- You eat a wide variety of nuts, seeds, fruits, vegetables, and various animal products (bone marrow, organs, etc.).
- You lose weight since you are cutting out unhealthy foods such as processed foods, alcohol, yeast bread, and processed grains like wheat, soy, and corn.
- It is a good diet for those who have diabetes, heart conditions, acne and people who suffer from celiac disease or gluten sensitivity. Those who are lactose intolerant, also, benefit from this diet.
- You are encouraged to eat foods like vegetables and fruits raw.
- You learn about proper nutrition.
Cons of using the Paleo diet
Despite the few good points given in the Paleo diet, there are still a few drawbacks to this diet.
- Not all grains are bad grains. Brown rice, buckwheat, quinoa, barley, and a few other types of grains offer a wide variety of nutritional benefits and most are gluten-free or have low gluten content.
- Legumes and beans are not your enemies either. There is a multitude of health benefits that come from eating these few important foods. Protein, fiber, minerals, vitamins, various micro-nutrients are a few that can be named.
- Eating too much red meat, other types of meat, eggs, and fish raises your body’s pH level to become more acidic. This is bad because most diseases, cancer being one, thrive in an acidic environment. Your body benefits more from a basic pH and that is only achieved by cutting meat, eggs, fish, and dairy out of your diet entirely.
- The diet can be a bit expensive since you are buying fresh produce, meat, and other fresh foods.
Is it worth trying the Paleo diet?
The Paleo diet is worth a try for anyone who doesn’t want to give up meat and still lose weight. You learn healthy long-term eating habits for the most part. People with certain health conditions can do the diet with little to no risk.
Extra healthy eating tips to get you even better Paleo diet results
The Paleo diet has many great ideas and recipes when it comes to eating quality foods. Even with all the pluses that come with using the Paleo diet, there are still a few healthy eating tips that can help you lose weight more efficiently.
One healthy eating tip is to restrict yourself from eating too much meat. Meat, like anything in life, should be eaten in moderation.
Another great healthy eating tip is to eat red meat sparingly and go for more leaner meats like chicken and turkey. Make sure the meat you eat isn’t stuffed with hormones, antibiotics, and is grass-fed or, at least, organic. Pork is a bad idea due to its high cholesterol content.
A healthy eating tip to include is, don’t eat meat for dinner. Eating meat for dinner has been shown to cause weight gain. Save your meat for breakfast or lunch and eat a healthy salad for dinner.
When it comes to your fruits and vegetables, the best healthy eating tip is to eat both raw or lightly steamed. This way you benefit from all the vitamins, minerals, and other nutritional goodies that fruits and vegetables offer.
A healthy tip to consider along with this type of diet is to pair it with a good fitness plan that can help maintain your weight both during and after you meet your weight loss goals.
Paleo diet review: final thoughts and considerations
Like any other diet, you should always consult your doctor about all health concerns and whether or not this diet is right for you.
This type of diet isn’t suited for people who are vegan, vegetarian, suffer from liver problems, and other medical conditions that make eating high amounts of meat impossible.
This diet can run on the more expensive side since you are eating high-quality meats, vegetables, and fruits.
All in all, the Paleo diet results and Paleo diet reviews speak for themselves. People have been able to lose weight while using this diet. This diet is nutritionally balanced and is a long-term dieting plan.
The Paleo diet is great for people who don’t want to cut meat out of their diet but still want to lose weight at the same time.