“Active rest days” – oxymoron much? Although it may not completely make sense at first, let me just tell you that active rest days are a great component to add into your weekly fitness routine. Rest days in general are crucial to allow your body to recover and help prevent injury. However, your butt being glued to the couch all day isn’t always the wisest choice for rest, which is where active rest days come in. Low to moderate exercise that gets your heart rate up without going above 65% of your maximum heart rate would be considered part of an active rest day.
Most of my own personal active rest days take place on Fridays and/or Sundays. I will occasionally take an active rest day in the middle of the week instead of a regularly scheduled workout if I feel as though my body needs a break as well.
Here are some of my favorite forms of active rest exercise:
- Going on a walk with our pups. Aren’t they so stinkin’ cute? Gahh I love ‘em.
- Doing a yoga video on Hulu. (Below is my “I-feel-awkward-doing-this” face. )
- Going at a steady pace on the elliptical while browsing my favorite health and fitness magazines.
- Shopping! You better believe walking around the mall and/or shops for a couple hours is active rest in my book.
- Going on leisurely bike rides. (Miss you sister!)
Taking active rest days is a great way to get your heart pumpin’ and flowin’ to those muscles that are needing nutrients and oxygen to repair themselves after more intense workout sessions. I highly recommend them!
And if you’re NOT having an active rest day today, head on over to In Sweetness & In Health for some FLOW action! You’ll find some awesome new exercises and workouts to try out!
- Do you incorporate active rest days into your workout routine?
- What are some of your favorite active rest exercises?